Growth mindset in a Growing Field

Image result for columbia county conservation district paI previously wrote about the importance of having a growth mindset. While I have always believed in its importance this student experience has really pushed me to live it. Every day I was looking for new ways to better myself as an educator, one of which was growing my content knowledge. I learned something new in as far as content knowledge everyday right along with my students. I grew most in areas that I was terrified in the beginning to teach and I still found areas to grow in content that I felt like I knew my whole life. One area in which I didn't teach this go around but felt that I needed to know a little bit more about was environmental science. What better way to learn about environmental science than to head to the Columbia County Agriculture Conference.

During my time at the conference I learned valuable knowledge about improving soil health and managing pests in field crops, along with many valuable resources. Something I didn't think about was the valuable connections I would make with farmers and other community members from across the county. I heard stories from farmers who have been in the business for generations and from some who were just starting out. I connected with Penn State Extension agents from both in and out of the county who share some knowledge in their area of expertise.
Image result for spotted lanternfly

One area that I learned about quite in depth was the effects that the spotted lanternfly is having on crops across the state. Due to the detrimental effects of the invasive species much time was spent discussing how to dispose of it. One way to help control the species is to scrape their egg masses off trees where they are laid. The egg masses appear mud-like and should be disposed of using alcohol or hand sanitizer. I also found the 7 life stages of the spotted lanternfly to be interesting as the species grows before laying the next generation.

Image result for no till


A major topic during the conference was the vital roll no-till and cover crops play in improving soil health. While this was not a new concept to me I was able to further develop an understanding for why these farming practices are done. I was quite impressed by the photos the conservation district used to show the positive effects that no-till has had on farm land in Columbia County.



It was interesting to hear from some of the farmers of the changes in agricultural practices from when they first started until now. Agricultural practices are changing to meet the needs of the growing population. Therefore it is vital as an agricultural educator to continuously grow and expand your knowledge of the ever changing field.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rising Stars At Central Columbia High School

Developing a Team

The Final Act: Who Do I Aspire to be as an Educator?